It’s important to be compliant when sending e-mail campaigns. Rules have been set by the Federal Trade Commission to protect consumers, and breaking those rules could be costly. Violators may face penalties of up to $16,000 per each separate e-mail! It sounds scary, but compliance is rather simple. Following is a list of the main requirements set by the FTC. For detailed information regarding each of these items, in addition to complete coverage of the CAN-SPAM Act, visit .
1. Don’t use false or misleading header information.
2. Don’t use deceptive subject lines.
3. Identify the message as an advertisement.
4. Tell recipients where you are located.
5. Tell recipients how to opt out of receiving future e-mail from you.
6. Honor opt-out requests promptly.
7. Monitor what others are doing on your behalf.